Saturday, March 01, 2008

Well I saw my own Doctor this week he diagnosed that I have Hashimotos, which is an autoimmune disease of the thyroid. Where antibodies attack the thyroid until eventually it’s stuffed. It’s one of the causes of hypothyroidism, He said it can be hell and don’t expect it to be easy to treat; the tyroid hormones may swing from high to low. I have been referred to one of Australia’s leading endocrinologists in April. I am also going to see a Chinese Herbal Medical practitioner as well in two weeks time. Depending on the outcome, I may or may not go up to Sydney as well.

So I’ve been keeping up my training, some days this has been challenging because I feel so tired at times Not normal tiredness, I get this overwhelming flat lethargic feeling come over me, like you hit a brick wall, I not only get tired, but foggy, forgetful and irritable, and it is not pleasant.

A positive here is that I managed to break all my records in my Boot Camp Fitness Testing on Friday morning; I paid for it though ;) I felt like crap for a lot of the day after. However this is affecting enough of my life I do not want to give up training as well.

This week my food has been good, but not great, so will address this, I can not believe how shit house I feel at times, the doctor said this may get worse as the condition progresses. Overall I have a very healthy diet though, The Thyroid book Sandra Cabot wrote was very informative and there are diet suggestions in it, although she does suggest cutting out certain foods altogether which I am quite fond of such veggies from the cruciferous family so cabbage, brussel sprouts, ect. I will read it again and may put, these suggestions into place, a least until I see the other practitioners.

I worked four days, sometimes it was challenging with feeling so bloody lousy, I had a great week with the classes I taught though. I’ve been dong a lot of work at the same school, helps to build up a relationship with the kids I think.

Well I am off to my aqua assessment, have a great weekend.

Well never got to post this before my practical assessment, I did great so all is good here.

13 comments:

RaeC said...

It's good to hear you have a diagnosis, at least now you know what you are dealing with. I have everything crossed that you can manage this and fix it soon. I take my hat off to you with how you are still training through this. So many people would use it as a good excuse to not train, but not you!! Well done Ms Ali... a true inspiration xxx

Charlotte Orr said...

Hi Ali, Rae's pretty much said everything I was going to, but just wanted to offer my best wishes as well.

Em said...

Now you know what it is you cn let your fingers do the typing and read everything you can get your eyes on and I am sure you will find something that works for you!
Keep pushing through hun :)
Em:)

Magda said...

Ali that sound serious. I hope you find a way to get on top of it and not let it come between you and your fitness goals.

Cheers

Magda

Ali said...

Thank you so much girls, I truly appreciate your kind words and support! It certainly helps and mans a lot to me :)

Kristy said...

Best wishes Ali, I hope you get yout thyrioud all sorted out.

Take care
Kristy

Anonymous said...

((hugs)) The one good thing is that you have a diagnosis so they can now begin to treat it. You are truely amazing to continue training and not let it affect your life the way so many others do.

Raechelle said...

It's all been said...(darn it!)-but I'll still give my best wishes that you can get on top of it. As many said above-at least they have been able to diagnose it-so now you nkow what you are working with. Frankly though-I would be glad that brussel sprouts was off the menu-LOL!
Hope to hear more from you regarding this issue-and hope you can get it sorted out!

Lisa said...

Hi Ali,

I will be thinking of you in this journey. Good luck and keep postive.

Lisa

little rene said...

Best wishes Ali :)

Life is tough sometimes isn't it? Thinking of you xxx

Miss Positive said...

I'm glad that you at least have an answer to why you've been feeling so lousy! Good luck with all the docs, hope you find something that helps.

Hilary xx

Jodi said...

I'm glad you finally found out what is causing all your symptoms....at least now you can be pro active and you not left wondering what the hell is going on with your body.

I hope your treatment will help with the side effects of your disease, and I am sending big hugs for you and I know you have the strength to deal with this hurdle in your life.

Take care Ali! Try not to stress yourself out too much.

Splice said...

Hi Ali!
Sorry to here about your thyroid. I totally agree with Miss Rae (smart gal), at least now you can get it treated and boy that must make you feel better knowing you are doing something about it :-)
Keep us informed.
Hugs,
Deb