Friday, February 22, 2008

Okay I won’t go into explaining the results of my tests because I don’t understand then all yet, other than various things were picked up to do with my thyroid, liver and kidneys. I then had to have further blood tests. This picked up thyroid antibodies, but another thyroid result had normalised, so what that means the Dr couldn’t say. I have a referral for an ultrasound of my liver as some things were not right there. My kidney filtration process is not up to scratch either apparently. Along with this my iron levels are actually elevated to high. So what does all this mean… well he couldn’t actually tell me!!! So I have an appointment with and endocrinologist at the end of May. I can not wait that long. So yesterday afternoon, I managed to get on to my own Dr. who I have not seen for 4 years, (haven’t been sick enough too) I will see him on Thursday, he will be able to explain things I hope, and I also made an appointment at a Sandra Cabot clinic in Sydney at the end of March. Have emailed results t naturopath and haven’t heard back there either.

I’ve being feeling very average the last few days, I’m not working today and I am going to take it easy. Fern suggested I get Your Thyroid Problems Explained, by Sandra Cabot and I will read this today.

I will get to the bottom of this ASAP. Interestingly I had a whole lot of blood tests done June last year after my first competition prep, everything was fine then. Then I did my second comp prep and it was during that prep that my body starting jacking up, by not responding to diet measures and cardio. Can’t help but wonder if this contributed, caused, triggered, or exacerbated my current situation. I wonder how many girls who have competed or still do who have developed similar conditions

7 comments:

Magda said...

Ali,

I hope your doctor is more helpful than those from your initial tests. The Sandra Cabot Clinic sounds promising too.

It does make you stop and think about the effects that harsh dieting and really heavy training can have on your health though.

Good luck

Magda

Anonymous said...

Bummer that they cant tell you straight away what it all means. Ive been there and felt completely frustrated for a long time. You are right to get them to sort it out sooner rather than later. The Sandra Cabot clinic does sound promising.

Hope you have a good weekend

Cat

Em said...

I wish you all the best hun and hope you get to the bottom of this pronto :)
Hang in there hun :)
Have a great weekend hun:)
Em:)

Anonymous said...

Hey ALi

SO HAPPY you are going to Cabot's clinic! Im sure you will find the solution!!! Here for you!!! I'm going for more bloods in mid march so here's hoping my thyroid is getting happier!!
Fern x
PS: We are DEFINITELY DEFINITELY catching up next time i'm there xx

LizN said...

The restrictive eating and over exercising plays havoc with T3 and occurs regularly in competitors. Not to say that it's a good thing or imminently solvable, just a point that health should always come before a figure comp.

Hugs
Lizn

Miss Positive said...

Fingers crossed you get to the bottom of this soon Ali, hopefully your doc has some answers on Thursday!

Hilary xx

Lisa said...

I am so pleased you have some answers. Take your time and be good to your body for while. Please put your health before competing.

Lisa