Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Well hope you are all having a good week.

Thanks for the welcome back.

I’ve had the week off work, had lots of things to get done, and spring cleaned my whole house, long overdue! I tend to hoard things and decided enough was enough, can’t believe how it feels like a load off, so to speak getting rid of so much clutter and shit. How many pairs of Levis can a girl own hehe, I was quite fond of them when I was younger but for gods sake I haven’t worn some of them for years!!

What I have been doing is not fasting; I have up to 3-4 litres of organic green juice and some fruit juice every day. Recently I have included some raw foods and nuts as well. I am going to go back to just the juices for healing purposes again. Also I wanted to function as per normal, and with fasting sometimes you need rest. I found some great web sites and books about juicing and raw food, so I am learning heaps from them.

I also buy my veggies from a local market, called trash and treasure, I have done for years and a lot of what I buy is grown locally without pesticides and chemicals. They are considerably cheaper than buying organic from the shops over here. I also shop at the ANU food co-op, who sell organic food for non-profit where I have been a member on and off since my late teens.

Although I want to get rid of the weight I have put on from my endocrine system being out of wack, my main concern is to get my thyroid, liver and kidneys healthy again. I think they must be getting there considering I feel so much better. I will eventually go back to Sydney and have further blood tests, but not in the near future. All the tests were doing my head in. Nothing concrete could be discovered, and I worried due to having all these antibodies floating around in my blood.

I also decided not to weigh myself and just get on with getting healthy, well I’ve lost lot of weight and it’s still coming off, this is probably due to my body correcting itself, as well as the Chinese medicine I have been having every day along with acupuncture and massage weekly. I have backed off from exercise, still training but not nearly with the same frequency or intensity. I’ve been thinking it is about time now I get stuck back into it more consistently now.

So what lead me to try juicing initially was as I said both the Naturopath and the Dr I saw in Sydney’s recommendation. Some of my family members have been in to juicing for years. My father actually was a vegetarian when I was young and I was frequently fed juice. However my mum was not that open too it. So it didn’t continue. I experimented with vegetarianism as a teenager as many kids do, however I chose to eat meat but not a lot of it really. I also thought as a woman we need the iron form red meat and I like the taste of meat, although not sure if I still will.

I have always believed though that it was hard work getting complete proteins from non meat forms of proteins, we also call animal protein good quality proteins, well recently I discovered that that is just because the protein make up of flesh protein is so similar to ours as humans and it certainly doesn’t mean that is necessarily good for your health, just because it is called good quality :)

From what I have been reading it is very questionable as to weather we can digest flesh proteins correctly and how much we actually do digest seems to be minimal. I still have lost and lots of reading to do before I completely make up my mind.

I do know though, that I have not felt this good for a long time!! I have also discovered through reading and research that your body can get enough protein from greens, and certain seeds have all essential amino acids and some vegetarian foods have all amino acids within them. So it’s all interesting.

5 comments:

Miss Positive said...

Good to hear that you are feeling so much better - all the natural food must be doing you good. Funny how getting back to basics is sometimes the best thing for us.

Hilary xx

Charlotte Orr said...

Hi Ali, interesting post. I know that you can get complete protein from non-meat foods by combining the correct ones, eg kidney beans and rice. Glad it seems to be working for you.

Lisa said...

Hey,

Welcome back, I am so pleased you are feeling better.

Lisa

Em said...

Good to have you feeling better and great to hear that you are just focusing on the healthy things and not on the numbers :)
Hope you have a lovely week :)
Em:)

Sue Heintze said...

Ali, that is such wonderful news!! I will be interested to talk to you about the juicing/protein etc.

Sue
x