Saturday, September 22, 2007

3 weeks 1 day!!

Well I had better update my blog, haven’t really had the time or the inclination lately.

It is three weeks until the ACT INBA comp, and as expected things are getting challenging.

One main challenge for me is that my body appears to have stopped responding to the dieting. UMM…. Initially we thought I was holding fluid, well I was a bit, so cut out all salt, not a great deal of changes occurred though unfortunately.

So at my posing lesson with a local bodybuilder a week ago, he told me and a mate we were carrying to much fat, and ‘kindly’ suggested we follow a diet he had strong faith would work, along with a very challenging leg program, circuit style that may I add takes almost 2 hours to get through ummmm. I must be slow *lol* Well he suggested we do it three times a week, and yes we have, god forbid!! Must say it is great to have a partner in crime!!

Anyway last night at posing, don’t think he was all that happy with the progress, can’t say I am either and I voiced my concerns about the diet and weather our bodies may think we have gone into starvation mode, he said as long as your hungry, no your body is not thinking it is starving and yes we are eating regularly. Does anyone know about this???

Funny though came home and this morning a drop in scale weight and I’m sure my legs look a little leaner. Will see what Sam thinks. Have no lats at present, they would definitely be glycogen depleted, lets hope the gains I have made in my shoulders and lats, even if small, are not being metabolised away!!!!

Sometimes I little bit or some knowledge can be kind of dangerous, I am reasonably new to preparing for a comp and some of what I am doing goes against what I have read about from reputable recourses, however I do not have the practical experience to really have an educated opinion, and the guy suggesting what we do has a lot of experience, plus I really appreciate the extra time he has given both my mate and I.

I tell you it sure is a learning curve, and one I choose. However to continue on this path (which I probably will because I’m stubborn and don’t like giving up, and parts of me love the personal challenge, and I want to see just how much I can accomplish) I am going to do a lot more research into nutrition and what suits me and my body in the future.

I can say that in all honesty this comp prep I have stuck to my diet over 90% of the time and trained very hard, maybe for too long who know?? Ow well I am charging forward and as Sam says I may have been dieting too long. All food for thought, owww dear please excuse the pun lol .

Actually I kind of feel better emotionally than earlier in the week, I felt shit house, physically and emotionally earlier this week. Body must be adjusting to the diet, however I have dreadful bronchitis, (haven’t had it since I was a kid) which I am now taking antibiotics for, I generally do not take antibiotics at all, however I can not afford for it to linger. I am being careful to get enough rest.

Teaching is interesting, especially when I forgot mid sentence what I was telling the kids the other day, not a good look! LOL well you certainly have to have a sense of humour in life don’t you, fortunately I have one and I find it easy to laugh at myself.

So long drawn out read, hope all have a great weekend, its glorious weather here in ACT, gotta love Spring!!!!! Well I do anyways. ;)

10 comments:

Shar said...

Hi Ali

How bizzare I was going to e mail you and see how you were going!! Then you updated.

Sorry to hear you think you have stopped progressing but you kno wthe body, it won't give it up easy, keep plugging on!! it will all come good in the end.

Shar x

Charlotte Orr said...

Hi Ali,

I can sympathise. My weight doesn't come off steadily. It tends to do nothing for a week or two, and then I see a significant change all at once. Competing is a big learning curve and it's all a process of trial and error to see what works best for you.

Good luck!

Charlotte

Ali said...

thank you so much girls for your supportive comments, means a great deal, XXX

Nic said...

Hi Ali,
Knowing what is right for your body is so hard because what works for one person doesn't work for another. All you can do is listen to advice and if it sounds right give it a go. Eventually you will learn what works best for you but it can take a bit of trial and error. But it sounds like you are doing all the right things so you will look great. As for the comment about being starving - with only a few weeks to go I think every body is absolutely in starvation mode and there is not much you can do - even so with the training and diet the body will still drop weight even if it is a bit slower. Keep it going! Nic

Tara said...

Hi Ali, Hope you don't mind me popping in to your blog. It was a very interesting read. Your thoughts seem to mirror mine a fair bit. I am new to this also and sometimes feel like I am blindfolded and bumping into things. We will get there though!! Good luck with your prep this week, I hope that you see more results.

Tara :o)

Splice said...

Hey Ali,
I too have been doing to much in the way of dieting this year. I have found that taking on a different approach has helped me with getting the results I need.
Listen to Sam and you will be fine.
You may be losing the weight but not noticing it as yet, give it another week and see.
Your doing really well.
Deb

SeLiNa said...

Good luck as you get closer to comp Ali!! You don't know how your body will respond till you try, so there's only one way to find out!!
I love spring too, it's great up here atm!!!

Miss Positive said...

All the best for the next few weeks Ali, and I hope that bronchitis clears up! It must be challenging trying to teach while all this is going on!

Hilary xx

LizN said...

Keep it up Ali, your body will just surprise you when you least expect it to~
hugs
Liz ;)

RaeC said...

Hang in there gorgeous!! Just have faith that your body will respond. I had to laugh when reading about you forgetting mid-sentence what you are saying... I seem to be doing a lot of that lately and am wondering if it's comp prep or just plain old age... LOL!!

I hope you are well and I hope to catch up with you at the Nationals xxx